People often ask me: “What’s the secret to losing 20+ lbs and (most importantly) keeping it off?”
Another question that they ask is: “Do I have to run 70+ miles a week and only eat salads to lose weight?”
First, the secret to losing 20 + lbs and keeping it off is no longer a secret and I don’t want it to be. That’s why I want to share these 10 weight loss tips with you.
Second, I have some REALLY great news. No, you don’t have to do endless cardio (if cardio is not your thing) and only eat salads to lose weight. In fact, the answer will surprise you.
These Top 10 Weight Loss Secrets will help you enjoy life while you are in the midst of accomplishing your fitness goals.
After all, if you are not enjoying your life, sooner or later you are going to quit and any progress you make in a short period of time will be nullified.
1. Create a plan. Not having a plan is like traveling to a huge, unfamiliar city without a road map and/or a GPS. You must have a clear idea of where you’re going and how to get there before you start your journey.
2. Be realistic. You will most likely not drop 20 lbs in 1 week in a healthy way without doing anything drastic. Set a safe and realistic goal, such as 1-3 lbs per week (range may vary depending on your starting weight, current activity level, metabolism and genetic factors).
3. Be reasonable with your diet. In fact, don’t diet at all. Don’t cut your daily caloric consumption to less than 1000 calories a day and don’t starve yourself. Eat everything in moderation, rather than completely cutting out food groups. Stay away from fad diets because they don’t work long term. Also, minimize your intake of refined carbohydrates and sugar (ie. pop, candy, etc).
4. Exercise. The act of exercise burns calories. It can help you create that caloric deficit you are looking for, without having to starve yourself. It also builds muscle and more muscle=higher metabolic rate. Exercise=MOVE your body in a way that you enjoy. If you don’t like cardio, do something else. If you don’t like lifting weights, then do other stuff. Just move.
5. Identify your obstacles. Ask yourself-what’s keeping you from reaching your goals? Once you know what your obstacles are, you can focus on eliminating and overcoming them. If you can’t think of any, dig deeper or come to the conclusion that you have nothing stopping you.
Above: Shot by Armando Tura
6. Snack carefully. Look for a snack that has nutritional value, rather than just empty calories. For example, opt for raw almonds rather than a bag of Doritos.
7. Track your progress. Keep a workout log and a food log. Even if you are not seeing immediate weight loss, you will notice that you are getting stronger/feeling healthier overall. This should keep you motivated.
8. The liquid calories are pretty sneaky. Try not to drink anything with calories and if you must-then limit your intake. For example, instead of 6 beers, drink 2 and instead of a large pop at the theater, drink a small one.
9. Eliminate negative influences. Negative influences can come in many forms, from the friends who don’t understand the importance of your goals to your own negative self-talk. Spend more time with positive people who understand and support you. Find people with similar goals and encourage each other to keep going, even when the going gets tough.
10. Reward yourself for a job well done. Celebrate even the small victories. For example, if you make it to the gym at least 3 times a week for a full month, then go and buy yourself that new outfit you’ve been wanting. Remember that a great accomplishment is the sum of small victories repeated day in and day out.
What do you think?
What has been your secret to weight loss?
If you found this article helpful, please pass it on. 🙂